Thursday, March 31, 2011

Food superblog!!!

All right, I am just going to knock this bipper out because it's been a while since we ate some of these, and there are so many good ones!!

Wraps!


These wraps are just refreshing and yummy. Tortillas, hummus, cukes and guac. Also good with lettuce and tomatoes. Here's a super easy hummus recipe.

  • 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained, liquid reserved
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil

Just blend together in a food processor or blender. If it needs more liquid, add the garbanzo bean juice. It's a little bland, and a little garlicky, so I've started buying organic hummus, which is super good and creamy. But this works in a pinch! 


Another good wrap (that I don't have a picture for) is this.

Corn tortillas
Black beans, mashed and heated up with cumin, chili powder and cilantro
Green peppers
Sour cream
Guacomole
Salsa or tomatoes

SO GOOD! 




Blueberry cornmeal pancakes, dedicated to all of the pancake loving babies out there. 

This is probably the best recipe I've found so far. They're pretty dense, and stick with you, and just have such good texture and flavor! I use frozen blueberries, and then buy the ugly bananas at the store and freeze them, they're perfect for this. I just thaw them in the microwave. 

1/3 C. yellow cornmeal
2/3 C. whole wheat flour
1/2 C. frozen blueberries (I add lots more because I LOVE bluebabies!)
1/2 C. milk
1 mashed ripe banana
1 egg
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
More milk if too thick

Don't mix too much!


Pita pockets! Such good flavor!  

Pita bread
Hummus

Filling (chop everything pretty small)
10-12 Kalamati olives (I bet regular olives work just fine)
3-4 leaves Romaine lettuce
1/2 green pepper
1/3 cucumber
3-4 slices of pickled beets
1-2 Tbsp. Balsamic vinegar



This is wonderful, but a TON of food for 2 people. The cornbread was a little overdone, so I'd cook it shorter at first. Also, slice the sweet potato really small because it doesn't break up very much in the cooking process. Also, I have this buttermilk powder that saves my bacon because it's always called for so randomly, and sometimes I don't get a recipe done when I want to :-) One more thing... greek yogurt doesn't seem like much more than snobby sour cream. 



First of all, a good swiss cheese is a substitute for the gruyere which is MASSIVELY EXPENSIVE!! 
Second, you can substitute some milk for some half and half to make it a little less fattening. 
Third, add more veggies and take out some of the egg mixture to make it healthier. I used a different crust recipe. It was a little tough, but pretty dang good. This makes an EXCELLENT breakfast!! 



Last, but certainly not least, are our snacks! Courtesy of greenereating.com (thanks for the tip Em). These are vegan recipes, which I de-veganify by just using eggs and milk, etc. The cherry chocolate chip snack bars freeze well, and are very filling, and good for my sweet tooth. I didn't realize I wasn't supposed to add the water that goes along with the egg replacer, so I added it, and they were pretty dang moist, which we both liked. 

The "CRUNCHY BANANA EOUNEGNI PPLESAUCE MUFFINS" (see Matt's GoPro test video on YouTube or Facebook) are a new FAVORITE!!!! Even DALLIN the pickiest eater on EARTH enjoys these. They're nothing too special, but they have just the right amount of all the good stuff, and I love the oat-ey texture. Again, I just microwave the frozen brown bananas, and otherwise I have all of the ingredients on hand. I'm not sure if these freeze well or not because between the Fab family and Matt and I, we've eaten 3 dozen since last week. They're a perfect quick breakfast, pre-Zumba snack, mid-morning snack, B'sexperimentingwithanewrecipeandit'stakingalongtime snack, etc.  

These are definitely all recipes we want to repeat, and some that we have repeated quite a few times! 

Bon Appetit!! 

5 comments:

Pops said...

Don't make me eat a veggie burger.

B said...

Veggie burgers are GOOD!!

Matt said...

I vouch for that. They are pretty dang good... Might even say better than beef burgers if done right. (don't disown me meat packer man)

Emily said...

Ah, and like a year ago Matt didn't even know what brown rice was.

ps veggie burgers = good.

Camie Rae said...

Ha ha consider yourself stalked...oh wait. Crap! I was not supposed to say anything to be an effective stalker!! Anyway YUM! Also I do loves me some veggie burgers any day of the week!!